Heat up your Valentines’ Night with this Spicy Thai Stir Fried Bamboo with Chicken recipe. It’s easy enough to make that you won’t spend all night in the kitchen but delicious enough that your date doesn’t have to know that.
½ lb of chicken breast, thinly sliced
1 lb of fresh or canned bamboo shoots, julienned
2 cloves of garlic (smash them flat with edge of knife but don’t chop)
10 – 15 Thai bird chilies (if you prefer less spicy, use less chilies as they pack a lot of heat; if unavailable in your area, substitute with Serrano or Cayenne peppers)
2 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp fish sauce
½ tsp MSG (if you prefer to omit, add a bit more fish sauce to compensate)
4 lime leaves, chopped in half
2 green onions, chopped into one inch sections
- Boil the bamboo shoots to remove the bitterness. Canned bamboo shoots need about 20 minutes but fresh bamboo should be simmered between 1 – 2 hours. Taste as you go and when the bitterness is gone, drain and reserve.
- In a skillet or wok, heat vegetable oil over medium high. When hot, toss in the smashed garlic, stir frying for about 20 seconds or until the garlic has turned slightly golden and is fragrant.
- Add in the chicken and continue to stir fry until the chicken has barely cooked through, about another minute or two.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add in the remaining ingredients, including the reserved bamboo. Stir for around a minute to heat it all together. If it looks too dry, add a little water as needed.
- Taste for seasoning and add more fish sauce if necessary
- Serve with fried eggs (seriously, they’re a great complement to the dish) and steamed Jasmine Rice.
courtesy of HubPages
Take a look at other tasty bamboo recipes under our Bamboo Flavors section.