Just in time for Mothers’ Day!
Using beautiful bamboo and a favorite picture, you can make a unique and memorable gift for your mom that she will treasure for years. You can find the bamboo at a local nursery or maybe it’s growing in your own backyard! And because it is such a renewable and sustainable resource, using bamboo is a gift for Mother Earth as well!
Here’s what you need to make your Bamboo Picture Frame:
- Clear sheet of Acrylic glass or plastic
- Measuring tape
- Hot glue gun
- Thick construction paper or cardboard
- Tape Bamboo pieces, whatever size you desire
- Strong string or twine, if desired
- Protective eyewear
To Make Your Bamboo Picture Frame:
1. Decide what size picture frame you want to make and use the measuring tape on the bamboo for the correct sizing. Use the saw to cut the sticks of bamboo to the desired length. Cut them at an angle on the edges to give them a more fun appearance. You can use four large intercrossing pieces of bamboo, or you can start with larger pieces on the outside and work your way in with smaller pieces. The design is up to you.
2. Draw the size of the picture frame you’re making onto the clear sheet of plastic or Acrylic glass. Put it where the picture will go making sure to include the edges of the frame (usually a couple inches larger than the picture)
3. Apply a liberal amount of glue from the hot glue gun to the sheet in the entire area outside of where the picture is going to go. Lay down the bamboo sticks in the desired pattern. Allow it to dry.
4. Trim a piece of cardboard, or very sturdy construction paper, to put on the back part of the glass that will cover the glue and bamboo sticks. Cut the center out as that is where the picture will go. Think of it as the matting in a picture frame.
5. Decide if you want the frame to hang on the wall or stand on a table. If you want it to hang on a wall, fold a piece of strong ribbon or twine into a loop and secure it to the top center of the picture frame using the hot glue gun. Let dry. If you want it to stand up as a frame, use the saw to cut two 2-inch-long pieces of bamboo. Secure each of these to the bottom of each side of the frame with the hot glue gun. Let dry.
6. Add your picture of choice into the frame and secure it with a couple pieces of the thick paper inserted between the back of the picture and the frame, or you can secure it with tape.