As the temperatures hover in the 90s throughout most of the country, everyone is looking for cool treats and cold meals to keep their internal temperatures down. This delicious chilled bamboo salad is just the right thing for your dinner table.
- ½ c. bamboo shoots
- ½ c. yellow savoy cabbage leaves
- ½ c. lettuce
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 spring onions
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 radishes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 slice of ginger root
- 2 tsp. each of vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil
- ½ tsp. chili sauce
To prepare your salad:
- Boil the bamboo shoots and rinse them in cold water.
- Cut the cabbage, radishes, carrots and lettuce into thin slices.
- Cut the tomato into eights.
- Chop the spring onions into 1 inch lengths and crush the garlic with salt.
- Heat the sesame oil in a pan over medium heat and add the vinegar, soy sauce and chili sauce. Cook the onions, ginger and garlic for three minutes while stirring frequently. Pour onto a plate when finished to cool them quickly.
- Place all the vegetables and bamboo shoots into a large bowl. When the oil mixture has cooled to a lukewarm temperature, add it to the bowl and mix well.
- Place in the fridge until slightly chilled.