In keeping with the wedding-themed week, here is a delicious recipe for newlyweds to try at home. You’ve received all sorts of fun kitchen utensils and some fine chinaware so why not try this fancy Indonesian recipe while you’re still trying to impress each other with your cooking. They’ll be plenty of time for frozen meals and take-out menus later.
Here’s what you need to make Roasted Goose And Bamboo Shoot Casserole:
- 400 g roast goose (about 14 oz.)
- 7 medium black dried mushrooms
- 200 g bamboo shoots (about 7 oz.)
- 1/3 whole piece of aged dried orange peel
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 6 slices fresh root ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 scallion, cut into 4 cm lengths
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2 teaspoons Chinese yellow wine
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
Here’s how to make your Roasted Goose And Bamboo Shoot Casserole:
- Chop the roast goose into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut the bamboo shoots into wedge shapes.
- Soak the dried orange peel and black mushrooms for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms and discard the tough stems.
- Finely shred the orange peel and set aside.
- Blanch the bamboo shoots in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove, rinse under the tap, drain and set aside.
- Heat the peanut oil in a clay pot and add the ginger and garlic.
- When the aroma rises, add the roast goose, bamboo shoots, black mushrooms and orange peel, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sauce ingredients to the pan and enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Thicken the sauce with 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with an equal amount of water.
- Add the onion and cilantro and serve hot with steamed white rice.
Of course, this recipe isn’t just for newlyweds – it’s perfect for anniversary dinners and dinner parties alike. For more bamboo recipes, savory and spicy both, visit Green Earth News’ Bamboo Flavors!