Here’s what you need to make your Spicy Bamboo Salad:
- 3.5 oz. Bamboo Shoots
- ¼ c. red & green chilis
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 small red onions
- 2 tbsp. old fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 50 ml. water
- ¼ c. mint
- 1 tbsp. peanuts
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. toasted sticky rice
- Cooking oil
Here’s how to make your Spicy Bamboo Salad:
- Put a frying pan on very high heat with small amount of oil.
- Add the chili, garlic and red onion and fry for 5 minutes.
- Pound the chili, garlic and red onion in a mortar to break down the mixture.
- Grate the bamboo into fine pieces (or use a food processor to get the same result).
- Put the bamboo pieces, old fish sauce and water into a large pot and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the bamboo mixture to the mortar.
- Pound the whole mixture with the fish sauce, lemon juice and toasted sticky rice.
- Fry the peanuts in a small dry frying pan for 2 minutes until brown.
- Serve on cabbage, cucumber, mint and sticky rice and top with the peanuts.
For more delicious bamboo recipes, visit Green Earth News Bamboo Flavors section.