For the truly ambitious or economical or both, here is a great idea for some home-grown décor. Beyond a make-your-own bamboo lampshade, try making the lamp itself!
Here’s what you need to make your Bamboo Lamp:
- Bamboo poles
- Energy efficient light bulb (preferably 5 watt)
- Paint or varnish
- Glue or epoxy
- Quick-drying cement
- Bucket or paint can (at least one foot tall)
- Wiring kit for lamps
Here’s how to make your Bamboo Lamp:
- Choose a bamboo pole that has at least a ¾ to 1 inch center hole.
- Clean and smooth out the pole with the sandpaper.
- Paint or varnish the bamboo pole as desired. Let it dry completely.
- Choose a segment of the bamboo pole to serve as the lamp holder. Saw off the upper portion of that segment. (Keep in mind that there will have to be one intact segment for the lamp holder.)
- Smooth out the portion that was sawed off with the sandpaper.
- Drill a hole in the bottom of your paint can or bucket. Line up bamboo pole with the hole.
- Mix the cement in the bucket/paint can and hold the bamboo pole in place until it dries.
- Paint the stand and bamboo segment cut for the lamp holder with the epoxy or varnish.
- Lastly, follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the wiring kit to finish your lamp.
Place your bamboo lamp wherever you please in your house and enjoy. Perhaps it can light up a bedroom already cozied up with bamboo bedding.
For more fun do-it-yourself ideas, visit Green Earth News section on Bamboo Crafts!
(Thanks to HomeAndGardenIdeas.com for this craft idea.)