Summer is at an end but there’s still time to fit in one more taste of summer with this delicious soup recipe. Fish Soup with Bamboo and Pineapple (known as Can Mang Chua Thom in Vietnam) is a sweet yet savory summery-dinner option.
½ lb. parboiled bamboo shoots, sliced
1 tsp. sugar
2/3 lb. perch, pike, sunfish or bream fillet
½ tsp. salt
Dash of White Pepper
1 ½ tsp. hot dipping sauce
½ lime (juiced)
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 ½ tsp. mint (chopped)
- Peel pineapple, removing woody center and eyes.
- Cut pineapple into chunks.
- Cut fish into ¼ inch pieces.
- Heat oil in wok.
- Add pineapple chunks and drained bamboo shoots. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- In large saucepan, bring 1 cup water and ¼ tsp. salt to a boil.
- Add fish pieces. Season with ginger, white pepper, hot dipping sauce and lime juice.
- Add sautéed bamboo shoots and pineapple chunks. Simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon into large bowl and sprinkle with mint.
(Recipe courtesy of MidAtlantic Bamboo)