While not technically using bamboo, this craft project will help you create deliciousness that looks like bamboo. And if you’re stuck in the house with this brutal cold-spell, what better time is there to take up baking and slightly elaborate cake decorating?
To decorate a cake with the appearance of bamboo, first you will need some rolled fondant. Fondant is a type of icing (it can also be a poured fondant) and it is not to everyone’s taste. You can purchase it at craft or grocery stores or you can make your own. In fact making your own can make it a little tastier.
Here’s what you need to make your own fondant (enough to decorate a standard round cake):
- 50 large marshmallows
- 2 tbsp. water
- ½ tsp. almond extract OR 1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- Green, yellow and brown food coloring
Here’s how to make your own fondant:
- Place the marshmallows in a large bowl with the water and extract.
- Melt in a microwave in thirty second intervals or use a double-boiler to melt them.
- Whichever method you choose, make sure to stir with a greased spoon until melted.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time stirring in between each cup, creating the fondant.
- Grease a surface with the Crisco.
- Place the fondant on the greased surface and knead until the fondant comes together.
- If sticky, add more powdered sugar.
- Shape the fondant into a ball and coat with Crisco.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
Here’s how to make your own bamboo cake decorations:
- If using homemade fondant, remove from fridge and warm to room temperature.
- Coat a surface with cornstarch.
- Roll a piece of fondant out into a strip or log.
- Cut the log into small pieces to represent the bamboo stalks.
- Take two small pieces of fondant and roll them into balls.
- Place the two small pieces of fondant in between the bamboo sections. (Your bamboo fondant should now consist of three small stalks with a ball in between two of the sections.)
- Using a paintbrush, poke a hole into the two ends of your bamboo stalks and let them sit overnight.
- To paint the fondant, mix a combination of green, yellow and brown food coloring with a little bit of cold water in to a bowl.
- Using the food coloring and paintbrush, paint the fondant bamboo.
- Let dry completely before using on frosted cakes.
Use your own cake recipes or check out the steamed cake recipes in Green Earth News’ Bamboo Flavors section!